Lots to talk about in the hockey world today, so listen up class. The gist of it is really only mindless violence and death, which is depressing. Those are the reasons why I stopped watching the local news. Good thing hockey was built on mindless violence though. Due to that, I don't think I'll be walking away from the sport anytime soon.
- First off, my condolences to the family and friends of Hawks owner Bill Wurtz who died today from cancer at age 77. As bad as this guy was for the Hawks, it takes a sick individual to dance on a grave. There will be none of that here. That being said, I'm seriously considering retracting my statements from Septmber 20th, where I declared that the Hawks were already out of the playoff hunt. This is an event that can shake a franchise, and it will be interesting to see if the new owner keeps the status quo or moves the team into the 21st century.
- If you watch only one internet video today, this had better be the one that you watch. Honestly, one of the funniest things that I have ever seen related to hockey. The guys over at The Score give us the low down on the worst hockey cards of all-time, the 1990 Pro Set Series. The best line; "Why not just call him a fucking prick on the back of the card, it would be just as damaging."
- You've surely seen the video by now, but Steve Downie destroyed Dean McAmmond last night. McAmmond suffered a concussion, I would assume a very severe one, and hopefully we'll see him in an NHL uniform in the future. If you remember, McAmmond was the recipient of a not so pleasant elbow from Chris Pronger in the playoffs last spring. This is honestly the roughest pre-season that I can remember. Is wasn't this crazy last year, was it?
- LOL Pre-season Hockey
- It's not hockey, but if you know anything about college football, this will probably be the funniest post you read all week. How long till college football herpes jumps species into the NHL?
- Finally, a great season preview from Teebz over at Hockey Blog in Canada.