Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Now There is Nothing to Occupy Our Time

Mike Cassese/Reuters

Remember middle school? (I know, I know. You might not want to.) But secrets would go around and you might have been the last kid on the playground to hear it, so by the time it got to you it was old news. Or maybe you were the one the secret was about and were in the awkward position of not knowing that everyone else knows something. It's impossible to know for sure, but I imagine one of those scenarios was what the John Ferguson Jr. situation ended up evolving into.

Well, today the most awkward position in sports has been vacated. To no one's surprise JFJ was finally fired from his position as GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs today. It was a long time coming and frankly it's amazing it lasted as long as it did. Much shorter than the OJ case but still longer than jail time for Paris and Nicki. Now, I'm not hating on JFJ. Regardless of whether he was good at his job or not, the position he was put in was awful. But watching the soap opera that has been the Toronto Maple Leafs was just so fun!

So what do we do now? I don't know what to do with myself right now at all.

This is like when That 70's Show went off the air or we found out that Man vs. Wild was sort of staged. I won't be able to watch the league's most followed team suffocate itself with it's own ignorance anymore and it's just a damned shame. Le boo.

At least we still have the Flyers and their suspension mis-adventures. Those are always fun!

5 comments:

  1. Kevin, don't worry! Just because this new/old dude comes in doesn't mean everything's alright with the Leafs.

    I'm sure there'll be lots of entertaining/embarrassing news out of Toronto, just as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @marcus. Affirmed. If there's one thing we can do as Leafs, it's screw up

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next up, I need one of the Leafs players to be possessed by Devil. Maybe McCabe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @blackcapricorn: I nominate Wozniewski (AKA Herpes AKA make-a-Wish), but McCabe would be interesting

    ReplyDelete
  5. @bc: now that would be fun! I can't wait to find out who it will be haha

    ReplyDelete