Sunday, November 4, 2007

The Winter Classic Goes Retro

As you may already know (because you got screwed when it came to buying tickets), the NHL is slated to have a "Winter Classic" on New Year's Day. That's marketing lingo for "outdoor game." The game pits the Pittsburgh Penguins up against the Buffalo Sabres at Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo on New Year's Day.

Over at Going Five Hole, Sean has a hunch that the teams will be going retro for the game, and wearing old uniforms from bygone eras. The combination of the old unis and outdoor hockey will surely make us all reminisce about a simpler time, when hockey wasn't about corporate sponsorships, luxury boxes or... wait... the Penguins and Sabres never played outside. This isn't like the good old days at all. It's another in a long line of NHL marketing gimmicks, with one notable difference -- this one is awesome!

9 comments:

  1. Makes me think of this:
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/instigator/gfx/2003-2004/twobelow.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/instigator/gfx/
    2003-2004/twobelow.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, thanks a lot for bringing back up those feelings i felt after showing up online for tickets on opening day and being coldy denied. excuse me while i go cry myself to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wah, wah, wah ... if you guys woke up early enough and got on your computers, getting tickets were no problem at all ... I got a pair ... and two tickets to the game too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Illegal, illegal! No third jerseys this year! I better report em to Gary.

    Scotty- you and all of those Blue Jays fans. I hope you enjoy talking about Vernon Wells with your seatmates!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked the original old light blue Penguins uniforms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. blackcap - Are you calling me Canadian??!?!?!? I think that's an insult! I am a damn proud New Yawker ... altho I may sell my tix to a Canadian if the price is right so I can follow the Rangers somewhere ... anyone, anyone? Only marking them up a few hundred percent ... lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ scotty hockey

    Getting tickets were no problem at all? Wrong.

    Getting tickets were no problem for you.

    It had nothing to do with getting up on time, it had to do with IP addresses and luck.

    You can get off the smug train anytime now...

    ReplyDelete
  9. But the smug train is such a nice ride ... and this time it goes right up to ole Buffalo!!!!!

    ReplyDelete